Ponderosa Pine is a Western pine and possibly the most loved of the western pines. It has a soft texture, a light color and is among the most beautiful of all pines. A clear finish with UV blockers can help to retain the freshly-milled color. It has a faint, resinous odor while being worked.
Ponderosa Pine is one of the most versatile woods found in abundance in North America. It is used in every phase of light construction, especially interior woodwork. Profiles available include unfinished tongue and groove, charred tongue and groove and prefinished/charred log siding.
- Color/Appearance: Sapwood is yellowish white
- Grain/Texture: Straight grained with medium texture
- Endgrain: Medium-large resin canals, numerous and evenly distributed
- Rot Resistance: Rated as moderate to low in decay resistance
- Workability: Works well with both hand and machine tools. Glues and finishes well.
- Odor: Faint, resinous odor while being worked
- Pricing and Availability: Modestly priced and widely available